History of Online Poker
The history of poker goes back over a hundred years. Crowds of people would gather in casinos to play this classic game. Late-night television aired dedicated game shows. However, online poker has only been around for almost 21 years. As the internet took over most of our lives, it changed the way people played games. As a result, poker has evolved tremendously over the years.
The Timeline of Online Poker
This article will briefly shed light on the timeline of online poker history.
• In the early '90s, there were poker games that people could play for free. However, it changed when on January 1st, 1998, Planet Poker launched its first online poker site. The poker expert Mike "Mad genius" Caro was behind the launch of the site.
• While Planet Poker set the landscape for how the online poker game looks today, Paradise Poker in 1999 attracted consumers through its innovative content and quality.
• Various poker games like Texas Hold'em, Caribbean Stud, Three Card Pokers, etc., gained rapid popularity as online poker games.
• In September 2001, Poker Stars launched their site. The site would hold satellite tournaments, and it was one such tournament where Chris Moneymaker made history by winning and then, later on, went to win the World Series and got $2.5 million. Other popular sites during that time were Party Poker and Poker Sports etc.
• Until 2006, the online poker industry was mostly unregulated. However, that changed when UIGEA (Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act) was put into effect. The law declared it illegal for banks and financial institutions to process any payments related to internet gambling.
• In 2011 the department of justice indicted three big names in the online poker industry and declared their earned income illegal under the UIGEA. In addition, the DOJ seized the domains of the sites, and they halted offering money to poker players.
Today online poker is considered a very enjoyable sport and is played by millions of individuals worldwide. As a result, the industry has seen a major spike in its business during the pandemic as more and more people shifted to playing online from their homes. Consequently, the industry is expected to grow at good rates in the coming years. Read this 카지노커뮤니티 for more tips.